Understanding of SVOCs in Exhaust Particulates using GC×GC–TOF MS
The health and environmental impact of particles released from vehicle exhaust have been reckoned to result in an annual cost to the European Union of over 600 billion euros. We talk to Dr Salim Alam at the University of Birmingham, to find out about how his work using GC×GC and the BenchTOF time-of-flight mass spectrometer will feed into predictive models of pollution and so tackle this major threat to health.
- Customer: University of Birmingham, UK
- Application: SVOCs in solvent extracts of exhaust particulates
- Challenge: To improve chromatographic resolution, boost sensitivity, and broaden analyte range
- Solution: GC×GC with TOF MS and Select-eV
- Results: Insights into ‘unresolved complex mixtures’, trace‑level sensitivity, and ten-fold increase in number of identified analytes.