GC×GC–TOF MS helps researchers at Plymouth University investigate toxic compounds in oil sands
Rapid expansion of the oil sands industry in Canada has raised concerns about potentially toxic mixtures of naphthenic acids in the process water. We talk to Professor Steve Rowland at Plymouth University, to find out how his GCxGC–BenchTOF system has helped his team to understand these compounds, with the aim of assisting remediation strategies.
- Customer: University of Plymouth, UK
- Application: Naphthenic acids in process water from oil sands
- Challenge: Separation of highly complex mixtures
- Solution: GCxGC with TOF MS
- Results: Identification of individual naphthenic acids