GC–MS Applications Engineer
Office location: Waterloo, Ontario
The GC–MS Applications Engineer reports to the SepSolve Business Manager. The focus of SepSolve Analytical is to identify, specify, develop, promote, sell and deliver analytical solutions and associated training and support based on a GC×GC and GC (GC×GC)-TOF MS product platform along with powerful data processing software and other associated products and 3rd party instrumentation. SepSolve will develop solutions involving sample preparation; sample introduction and both GC×GC and GC–MS analysis with the aim of offering a range of very competitive and advanced analytical solutions to greatly enhance the research, productivity and competitive edge of the customers that purchase them.
- The applications engineer will be a key player at SepSolve and will have opportunities to grow in their role. The key aspects of the role are to both develop and demonstrate analytical methods to client specification but also to install and support the instrumentation and methods in the field. It is believed this will be both a challenging and interesting role for the successful candidate with plenty of variety and opportunities to learn.
- On internal acceptance of a client project, the applications engineer is to research and understand client requirements, specify, design, plan and to develop the required methods to a consistent high quality and delivered to an agreed specification and timescale as agreed with the prospective clients.
- Upon completion, ensure the write up of customer reports, application notes, standard operating procedures, presentations and other technical documentation to allow promotion, delivery and method hand-over training of the completed application. This should be done to a set quality and within a timescale as agreed with the Business Manager and in line with the requirements of the client’s project proposal.
- To assist the marketing manager by generating data and reports to assist in the promotion of the instrumentation and software for different application areas.
- To run clients’ standards and samples in real world matrices to show a method's fitness for purpose, incorporating important analytical criteria such as - but not limited to - minimum detection limits, carry-over performance, calibration linearity, reproducibility and analyte recoveries. It will be critical to identify the business advantages and benefits of the applicated solution to enable clients to justify the investment for their laboratory, ideally showing a clear competitive edge over alternative or existing methodologies as currently adopted, and/or differentiating against alternative competitive solutions available in the market.
- To organise the hosting of demonstrations of the developed method and instrumentation to visiting prospective clients to best ensure client satisfaction. Ensuring any customer areas are clean and tidy and that lunch and refreshments are appropriately organised for their visit.
- To organise, prepare for and present software demonstrations and software training to prospective clients, other staff members and existing users of our software.
- To attend key seminars, conferences, company and client meetings, to present and promote the developed application solutions. To help manage the set-up of client workshops to demonstrate and train prospective clients or users on the developed methods, the advantages and benefits.
- Following sale of a packaged solution, attend the client site to carry out and finalise instrument installation and method set-up and to give training on, and fully hand over, the instrumentation and method to client satisfaction. Repeat a number of the performance tests to prove the method is working within specification and to ensure the client is left feeling competent in the operation of the method SOP. To ensure we attain sign-off from the client that the method is operating and that users are competently trained to the client's satisfaction.
- To ensure prompt response to client requests in support of running the instrumentation and/or method by phone, by email, web-based meeting and by site visit. To follow up the hand over event to ensure clients receive excellent help and assistance when they need it, allowing them to feel confident enough to purchase again or recommend our solutions to others.
- To travel further throughout the UK, Europe and as needed globally to carry out such tasks.
- To help manage the laboratory ensuring supplies are re-ordered as required to avoid delays in project development, ensure the lab is kept clean, tidy and safe. To manage the laboratory within industry H&S guidelines.
- The successful candidate will have been a GC–MS user. Educated to degree-level in Analytical Chemistry, or a similar discipline, with 3 years or more GC–MS, sample introduction and sample preparation experience.
- The candidate will be experienced in running and developing analytical methods using GC–MS and, ideally, experience of operating/maintaining at least some of the following techniques: GC, GC×GC, GC–MS, GC–TOF MS, SPE, LLE, solvent concentration, liquid injection, large volume injection, SBSE, SPME, HS, P&T, TD, and Dynamic HS amongst others.
- Experience of operating both quantitative and qualitative analysis workflows with GC–MS data processing software, experience on the use of GC×GC software an advantage. Knowledge of post analysis software for chemometrics and statistics would also be a distinct advantage.
- Experience of miniaturizing and automating sample preparation would be a distinct advantage, even better if this was in conjunction with on-line coupling with GC–MS instrumentation.
- Some HPLC and LC–MS knowledge and/or experience could be useful for future development of the business though not essential.
- Project and management skills and experience could be highly beneficial.
- Willingness to travel and stay away from home (globally at times) to undertake product installation/maintenance, method set-up and training at client sites is important for the developing role.
- The candidate should be a self-starter with the ability to run projects, work on their own and to use their own initiative to develop and finalise projects within an agreed timescale. They should also have a professional approach, be well presented and get on well with clients and as part of a growing team.
Please send CV's in the first instance to Bob Green (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Posted 03 June 2021